06 Feb 2009 12:30
TAGS: dev wdlite wikidot
During last days, I've been working on wdLite Installer (a light single-wiki version of Wikidot).
The main purpose of this, was to make installation of this pretty piece of software as easy as possible.
Having this said, I'll prove it is really simple on the example of Ubuntu Linux.
- Step one: Install required packages
- Step two: Configure database
- Step three: Choose a proper place for wdLite and download it
- Step four: Launch web-based installer
- Step five: Your wiki is ready
Step one: Install required packages
Issue the following command:
sudo apt-get install apache2 php5 imagemagick subversion postgresql postgresql-contrib php5-tidy php5-pgsql php5-gd zip
Step two: Configure database
Use your user name instead of piotr. Use some (not yours) password instead of strong-password.
sudo su postgres psql --command "CREATE USER piotr PASSWORD 'strong-password'" createdb --owner piotr piotr
Step three: Choose a proper place for wdLite and download it
The best place for Wikidot would be probably somewhere under /var/www
(replace piotr with your user name)
sudo mkdir /var/www/wiki sudo chown piotr /var/www/wiki cd /var/www/wiki svn checkout http://svn.wikidot.org/repos/wdlite/trunk . chmod a+rwX . -R
Having wdLite copied there, it'll be accessible at: http://localhost/wiki/
You can also locate wdLite to your public_html directory.
cd ~/public_html sudo svn checkout http://svn.wikidot.org/repos/wdlite/trunk . sudo chmod a+rwX . -R
In order for this to work, you would need to issue the following commands:
sudo ln -s ../mods-available/userdir* /etc/apache2/mods-enabled sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
wdLite will be accessible at: http://localhost/~piotr/ (replace piotr with your user name).
Step four: Launch web-based installer
Fill ALL the fields. If you followed this howto, the values would be as follows:
- PostgreSQL settings
- user: piotr
- password: strong-password
- database: piotr
- GMail settings
- you have to create a GMail account for sending verification emails from it
- supply the GMail login and password in the fields
- Wiki settings
- it's totally up to you what to include there
- the values will be accordingly the wiki title and subtitle (shown at the very top of wiki)
- Wiki administrator — it's you!
- e-mail: e-mail address you will use to log in
- password: password you will user to log in
- if you have friend you would like to invite to the new wiki, just enter their e-mail addresses separated with spaces. You can leave this single field empty
- Confirm and save
- click save and wait while the wiki is installing the database and sending invitation e-mails. This should take no more than 5 minutes (usually less than 1 minute)
Step five: Your wiki is ready
Log in using the e-mail address and password that you supplied in the previous step.
Enjoy your wiki!